World Track / Mandatory internships
The World Track, included in the third year of your undergraduate study, provides extended company internships or study abroad options and is a core element of Jacobs University’s employability approach.
The curriculum structure includes the option for a semester-long internship (“mandatory internship”) in your 5th semester, which provides experiential learning regarding the labor market as well as practical work experience. Successful internships may initiate career opportunities!
Requirements for your mandatory internship:
- Duration of a minimum of 16 full-time consecutive weeks , starting in September in your 5th semester (please note that an earlier start is possible).
(Splitting the duration of an internship into shorter segments is not possible. We believe that long-term, continuous internships can provide a better understanding of a real work experience and insight into long-term projects).
- Related to your Major of studies
- Can take place in any company, university, research institution, organization, or start up worldwide, including Germany and Bremen. Please note: Only in exceptional cases can Jacobs University be considered as an employer for your mandatory internship.
Career Services offers you individual counseling and support with your application. Please have a look at “Career Opportunities” and check our Internship Report Database on Teamwork to see previous Internship Reports and our Job portal for current vacancies!
If you need help, don’t hesitate to stop by during our Office Hours or send your request for an individual appointment to firstname.lastname@example.org
A general overview regarding the internship process and necessary steps and actions can be found in our Internship Guideline
How to Register your Mandatory Internship (before the internship)
To register your mandatory internship officially , please submit
- an Internship Status Form (online submission) and
- an Internship Approval Form. Please download and fill in this form, and have it signed by your Academic Advisor. Please submit the signed form as a PDF to Career Services Center (CSC) at email@example.com
The regular deadline for the registration / submission of both documents is April 30th. All documents must be handed in latest before the start of your internship!
If you want to change your registration and opt for another track in your fifth semester, please contact CSC by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are doing your internship in Bremen or surrounding and want to live on Campus during your internship, you have to contact the Housing department before July 15th at email@example.com.
If you are doing your internship outside of Bremen and want to apply for a semester ticket dispensation you have to submit an online form, which you can find here.
How to Report your Mandatory Internship (after the internship)
A. Please submit the following internship documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Internship Report: The form and further Information on the structure is available here.
Internship Reference Letter: You have to obtain a reference letter from your supervisor at the end of your mandatory internship and submit it as a PDF to email@example.com
Requirements for your Internship Reference Letter:
Your Internship Reference Letter must:
- be written on the official letterhead paper of the internship company/organization
- contain the exact dates of your internship and a list of your working tasks
- be signed by your supervisor or other official person in charge.
- be either in English or in German.
You can find a sample of a Reference Letter here.
IMPORTANT: Please send your Internship Report and Internship Reference Letter together in one email (with two separate PDF-files) to Career Services Center at CSC@jacobs-university.de
Deadline: February 15th
Your next step:
B. Please contact your Study Program Coordinator before February 15th and inform yourself if you have to fulfill further requirements (in spring 2018) for obtaining 20 ECTS.
Confirmation of Registration and Internship Requirement (for employers)
Some employers (especially German employers) may ask you to send them a confirmation letter, which states that your internship is a required mandatory part of your studies.
If you need this confirmation letter from Jacobs University, please send a request with the following data per email to Ms. Petra Zarrath (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Full name and address of the company/organization, where your internship is going to take place
- Full name and position of the person responsible for your internship at that company/organization (if available)
- Your full name
- Complete name of your major (for example “Bachelor in Integrated Social Sciences”)
- Your class
- Your matriculation number
We will prepare the confirmation letter for you, which you can pick up from our office (RLH 225). If you need the letter as PDF-document, please state this explicitly in your email. Please note that we can only provide such a confirmation letter for a mandatory internship in your 5th semester.
Voluntary internships have no minimum duration requirement since they are completely optional. Should you choose to complete an internship during your free time (i.e. during summer holidays and winter intersession), you have the option to include this in your transcript. To ensure that you will complete your undergraduate studies within the regular and expected time frame of 6 semesters, the CSC supports voluntary internships completed only during your free time.
An internship before the 5th semester will NOT be accepted as a mandatory internship, but will be considered as a voluntary internship.
There is no obligation to report a voluntary internship.We highly encourage you to report your voluntary internship because it can make a good addition to your transcript records, hopefully impressing future graduate schools/employers. If you want your voluntary internship(s) to appear on your transcript, you must register and report the voluntary internship(s) to CSC by submitting 2 forms:
- Internship Status Form (you need to log in with your Campus Net credentials, there is no deadline for this).
PLEASE NOTE: Once you register your internship, please send an addition email to email@example.com stating that this particular internship is voluntary.
- Internship Reference Letter from your supervisor . Please submit it as a PDF to Career Services Center firstname.lastname@example.org
- Requirements for Internship Reference Letters:
– written on the official letterhead paper of the internship company/organization
– containing the exact dates of your internship and a list of your working tasks
– signed by your supervisor or other official person in charge
– be either in English or in German
Please click here to download a sample of a Reference Letter.
- While there is also no obligation to submit an Internship Report for your voluntary internship, we would very much appreciate it as we would like to have as many reports published and made available to the Jacobs University community. Internship reports provide Jacobs students with valuable insight into internship possibilities and experiences. If you are prepared to submit an Internship Report, please fill out the Internship Report and name the file “IR_InternshipYear_Your_Name_Company_Name.” Please send it per e-mail to email@example.com